Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 75 & 76: Father's Day



Father's Day: Lake day. Oh how I love the lake in the summer. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Mmm.

Dad and I took a quick trip down to Table Rock on Sunday afternoon. It was brief, but so sunny and warm. I think the lake missed me. Immediately, I felt at home in the water. It's official: the lake is definitely one of my happy places.

Even though we didn't spend but 90 minutes on the water, Dad and I had a great time chatting and singing during the drive. Father-daughter bonding has to be one of the most special things. I'm really grateful for my dad. He's a pretty cool dude, I'd say. :)

This weekend we had a lot of time together, which at some points in my life would have annoyed me to no end. This time, however, was different. I feel like Dad and I have finally started to find the sweet spot in our relationship, that spot where Daddy/daughter has effectively transitioned into an adult relationship. That's totally the hand of God, folks, let me tell you!

Saturday night we have a super meaningful conversation, which ultimately ended up being perhaps the most freeing conversation of my life. I'm still getting goosebumps processing it all. Dad shared with me some letters that his parents had written to him as he had just left home on his first big adventure as an adult. After stumbling around to find adequate words, Dad handed me a letter from his dad and explained that what Grandpa had written to him is what he was trying to say to me.

"Hitch your wagon to a star."

People just don't talk like that anymore. I love that imagery though, and the inspiration.

I loved hearing my grandparents' voices as I read the letters; they were always so supportive and encouraging. And seeing their handwriting--so many memories! It was definitely a special experience to share these sentiments with my dad., and probably was no coincidence that it landed smack dab in the middle of Father's Day weekend. What a blessing.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool! Glad you had a great day with your Dad!

    ReplyDelete