Friday, January 7, 2011

a necessary truth.

Good morning, bloggerland!

This morning I've been studying for the discipleship group that I host on Monday nights. This week we're talking about Joshua and his leadership of the Israelites. I love in Joshua 24, when he gives his people a choice. He acknowledges that they have options and that they can freely choose who to follow. Yet regardless of their pressure or misleading, Joshua boldly declares that he will serve the Lord. I just love that. I know it's a simple concept, but it's not always so simply executed.

Sometimes I find myself easily getting distracted by and serving the world, rather than the Most High. But that's not my heart's desire. I want to serve God above and before all else. Period.

Why? Because He's worthy. End of story.

Check out our memory verse for this week:
"The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance."
2 Peter 3:9

I love the language, "God is not slack..." I immediately think of the term "slacker" in our culture and so my brain automatically substituted such when I first read the verse. But how true is that? God is NOT a slacker. Despite the times I feel like He's not following through, He is continually working things out. My time or my desires just may be off. But not God.

I needed that reminder of a necessary truth today. How about you?

Here's my prayer today:
God, thank you that you are worthy. Thank you for demonstrating longsuffering toward me and continuing to pursue me, even when I'm stubborn and go my own way. Jesus, help me to serve you boldly, above and before all else. Help me to love you first and foremost. Be glorified in me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment