Monday, October 17, 2011

Granny

Today is my Granny's birthday. I believe she would've been 82. I've been thinking a lot about her lately, and I'm not exactly sure why. Perhaps it's nostalgia, or maybe it's where I'm at in my journey, but I've longed for her wisdom and insight. There's a lot about that woman to admire. Some of my favorite of Granny's qualities:

-Her appreciation for nature. Animals, flowers, birds; she always loved observing them. And she grew the most beautiful, full roses I've ever seen. I remember she had this bird clock in their kitchen that chimed a different bird noise at every hour. I never understood her fascination with birds. When I stop to consider them though, they always make me think of her.

-Her ability to listen to her body. "Let's just rest," she'd say so often. "I just need to rest my eyes." Or, "Now Jessie, make sure you listen to your body. When it says rest, rest!"

-Her seriously intense cleaning skills. I wish I could say I'm as clean as she was, but frankly I don't have the time to spend on my hands and knees, scrubbing my floors with a vinegar solution weekly. Someday, I will, but not right now..

-Her love for her family. No matter who had done what or said what, Granny always extended open arms and, most importantly, an open heart. She always wanted to know what was going on and she was never shy about asking.

-Her cooking skills. Good grief, could she cook. I still have yet to taste an angel food cake that can even pretend to rival hers. Honestly, I've considered praying for angel food in Heaven, but I don't really think it will matter once I'm there.

-Her generosity. Whether it was toting us around town, treating us to ice cream or dinner out, Granny was also doing something for us. We'd go to her house to say hello and leave with a bag full of goodies. When I needed to earn money for a formal dress in high school, Granny contracted me to help her paint her shed. If ever anyone needed anything, Granny did whatever she could to help.

-Her faith. Granny was not overbearing, but not shy either in expressing truth. She was always active in church and left no one to wonder where she stood.

I hope that I can be even half the woman that Granny Stone was. She's left a legacy in me that I do not soon want to forget.

1 comment:

  1. sweet post! I'm glad you were fortunate to have a sweet granny too!

    ReplyDelete