Monday, October 3, 2011

destination: dallas

Hello, bloggie buddies! How was your Monday? Better yet, how was your weekend?!

Disclaimer: I did not take this photo. But I think it's pretty.

My weekend came and went way too quickly. (Can I get an "Amen?!") Thursday I took a vacation day and embarked on a quick roadtrip to visit my friend Stevie in Dallas. I was a little apprehensive by the time Thursday morning rolled around since this was the farthest I'd ever driven by myself AND I'd never driven further southwest than Joplin, let alone Texas! There's a first time for everything I guess. Even though my dad tried to convince me to fly, I insisted on hitting the open road. Something about driving is so soothing to me...

...until I hit Oklahoma highways. Holy moley, what is the deal, OK? Honestly, I've never been so carsick in my life. And I get carsick nearly every roadtrip, but not typically when I drive. Forget 75mph speed limit; semis passed me left and right at my sluggish 60mph. Barf bag in one hand, digging for Meclizine tablets with the other; I was quite a mess for a bit. Needless to say, my always knowledgeable father texted me directions via the interstate for my return trip.

Anyway, I rolled into Dallas safe and sound, and only suffered mildly from a cloud of nausea and carsickness funk. We enjoyed dinner at Gloria's, a super posh Mexican restaurant in downtown Dallas. Saturday, Stevie humored me and took me to IKEA for my first time! The phrase "kid in a candy store" doesn't even touch the two of us. Yes, we hit every room. Yes, we tested too many couches/chairs. And, yes, we designed and redesigned our own homes multiple times during our tour. For lunch: the best pizza I've ever had, compliments of Grimaldi's. Then it was on to shopping and a driving tour of Dallas. Friday night, we headed to Fort Worth for a bite to eat at a hole-in-the-wall open-air burger joint, followed by a visit to a huge country-western dance hall/concert venue. Honestly, I've never felt so midwestern in my life, but I've never enjoyed a city so much. Driving into Fort Worth was literally like stepping back in time. We visited an old saloon-style shop where I found the cutest turquoise dangling earrings for my sister. Brick streets. Cowboy hats. Boots. Belt-buckles. Chivalry. MANNERS. Music. Two-stepping. So much fun.

Stevie, me, and Gena in Fort Worth

More than all the southwestern charm, which definitely has its effect, I thoroughly enjoyed catching up with Stevie. We haven't been friends for all that long, but she is one of those people that is solid. No matter what's going on, she's consistent and she's real. We had some really honest conversations this weekend, tough conversations, and it was so refreshing--and revealing, the kind that teach you something about yourself. Why is it that those friendships that foster such transparency seem so few and far between? Honestly, where is all the authenticity in this world? That's definitely another topic for another post. The point is that I definitely enjoyed and appreciated spending time with Stevie.

Friday went too quickly and Saturday came too soon. However, the end of the interstate did not come nearly soon enough. Oy. NOTHING exists through most of Oklahoma. Not complaining in the least, simply observing. The interstate did, however, prove to be much smoother than OK highways. No trash bag was harmed during the drive home. I got home just in time to recover and sleep for Sunday festivities.

All in all, it was a great weekend...and I'm still wishing it were longer, in vain, I know.
Here's to an equally good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment