Friday, October 21, 2011

asking for directions

Generally, I'm not shy about asking questions. In fact, if anything, I tend to err on the side of asking too many questions and being a smidge too nosey. What can I say? I like to know the 4-1-1. And, if I'm working on a project or assignment that I don't know everything about, I always ask questions; I always want to be accurate and effective.

But why is it that I tend to back off when it comes to my discussions with the Lord? It's like I adopt the "don't ask, don't tell" mindset in my relationship with Him sometimes. As if not asking is going to avoid confusion or heartache. How ignorant of me. The only way to gain clarity and direction is by seeking the One who knows the answers and sets the course.

Last night I went to a worship gathering at Glendale Christian Church. Jared Anderson led an evening of worship, beginning with a brief training time for church worship teams. We took a few of our students that play in the band to both the session and the service. Man, it was amazing. I didn't realize how dry I was and how badly I needed some uninterrupted time in worship, seeking His face. It totally knocked me on my backside...in the best way possible.

I've been wrestling with some directional challenges lately, ie, "What is my calling?" Ha. Big question, I know. But as much as I've wondered, I haven't really taken time to stop and verbalize those thoughts intentionally to the Lord...until today. And it was so freeing. I don't have any answers necessarily, but I feel like I'm heading the right way, just by asking for directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment