Tuesday, August 30, 2011

When words fail, google Sara Teasdale

Sometimes words fail me. At those points, I often consult better equipped writers than myself. This has got to be one of my all-time favorite poems. And set to music, it's even better. Yes, I am an avid fan of well-written poetry. This particular one has been on my mind lately for some reason. Naturally, I thought I'd share. For all you fellow hopeless romantics out there, enjoy. For all others, prepare to be converted.


To E.

I have remembered beauty in the night,
against black silences I waked to see
a shower of sunlight over Italy
and green Ravello dreaming on her height;
I have remembered music in the dark,
the clean swift brightness of a fugue of Bach's,
and running water singing on the rocks
when once in English woods I heard a lark.

But all remembered beauty is no more
than a vague prelude to the thought of you--
you are the rarest soul I ever knew,
lover of beauty, knightliest and best;
my thoughts seek you as waves that seek the shore,
and when I think of you, I am at rest.

~Sara Teasdale

No comments:

Post a Comment