Wednesday, March 12, 2008

soaking.

Many times in life I feel like it's my job to be a wet sponge. I feel compelled to wring myself inside out so that I can drip every last possible molecule of liquid onto those around me, lathering them up with much needed nourishment and moisture. And this is all done with good intentions, and to satisfy appropriate needs and longings. But what happens when the sponge is dry? How effective is a dry sponge? The answer seems pretty obvious to me at this point: a dry sponge is useful for little--if anything--more than retaining moldy particles and mildewy odors from once desirable and satisfying sustenance.

For quite some time now, I've felt like a dry sponge. I see remnants of fruit in my life, but overall I've felt shriveled and dry. Ineffective to say the least. What is the solution? While a sponge might be pitched when it reaches such a state, I as a human, as a minister, can not so easily excuse myself. I have been given the responsibility and privelege of serving others, of being the embodiment of Christ. Tossing myself into the nearest trash can is no option at all.

The way I see it, I am left with one positive alternative: soak. Refill. Expand. Moisturize. The only way that can be done is by diving in to the Living Water that Christ alone offers. That means digging in, drinking deeply. It's not always easy and I definitely don't always like the bi-products of conviction and change that ensue, but it definitely beats the alternative. Rotting does not appeal to me in any way. I desire to be fruitful. I long to pour into others. In order to do so effectively, I've got to keep tabs on my fluid levels. I've got to be completely saturated, drenched.

So right now, I'm soaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment