Monday, March 31, 2008

achy-breaky heart.

My heart aches. It's a dull, simmering longing. It's an ache that knows precisely why it aches. It's familiar; an echo of a past ripple. I think that's why it hurts so badly. I've had the solution at the tip of my fingers, but never yet have I been able to fully grasp it. One hand reaches out, straining and stretching. But the other remains behind me, chained to some heavy, binding tombstone. It wouldn't be a problem if only I were chained. This issue lies in the fact that the other is also imprisoned. The double imprisonment to separate tombstones prevents either party from reaching out completely and rescuing the wounded heart nearby. If one were unbound, free to stretch and soar and fly, he could land and bury roots wherever he chose; ideally beneath the tombstone of the one still in bondage. Clearly, such a mission remains impossible though, seeing as how both maintain equally strong chains bound to equally weak wrists.

So what is the answer? How does one escape from bondage? Or is escaping even the answer? Surely the answer isn't to lose the aches and longings. If erasing proves the answer, then how is such a task accomplished? How do memories fade? How do echoes die within the vast and endless cavern that stretches between two souls?

This is all a mystery to me, and to others too, no doubt. One colossal, frustrating, and brilliant mystery, woven through the threads of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment