Saturday, January 14, 2012

hair and relationships

So my friend Lindsay texted me last night, asking if I could help with some wedding hair today.  And of course I said yes.  Really, who's gonna say no at a chance to play beauty salon?!   Seriously, it was so much fun!  The girls were great to work with and the bride was so laid back.  All beauties.

As I was pinning one girl's hair, we started talking about the correlation between hair and relationships.  First it was accidental.  Here's how our conversation transpired (more or less):

Me:  "So what are we thinking style-wise?"

Emily:  "I don't really care.  Just something laid back and loose."

Me:  "Ok, I'm thinking...[whilst pinning]I want you to come over here...There we go." 

Emily:  "What?  Oh I thought you were saying that was the hairstyle we were going for."

And so we began talking about various styles of hair and their messages.

Ahem..without further a-'do, our hairstyle communication
The "I want you to come over here" style.
      Loosely pinned up with delicate and unpretentious wisps pulled down around the face.

The "Please stay" style.
      Similar to the "I want you to come over here" style, only including some sort of twirling of the hair around
      the fingers.

The "I want you to stay there" style.
      Hair is tightly pulled back, either all up, or half-up, causing tension through the brow and temple, creating
      a tense, unwelcoming look.

The "I really hate what you're doing right now" style.
      Much like the "I want you to stay there" style, but somewhere along the way, a hair flip is completed,
      perhaps in conjunction with an eye roll.

The "I am completely oblivious to anyone around me...or at least I want you to think that" style.
      Hair is down and tousled or up in a messy-ish bun.   Totally unassuming appearing.

And there ya have it.  Communication through hairstyles.  Now that I know it's so easy, I'm going to begin communicating this way.  Be aware.  Also, I'm sure there are many, many more styles that could clearly and accurately convey specific messages; however, my creativity is exhausted at this point.

And so I'll close with some pics from my hairstyling escapade today.  Enjoy.

The lovely bridesmaids
Their hairs
Lindsay, me, Amber.  I'm lacking an LBD ;)


   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment