Sunday, September 18, 2011

You know those days...

...that just start off the wrong foot entirely? Today was unquestionably one of those days.

I stayed up too late (enjoying the company of good friends for a special occasion, mind you), but then I snoozed too long. And I skipped my Bible time and last minute review time. I rationalized that I was up late and I would have some downtime once I got to work and got everything settled so I could review then. Plus, those extra nine minutes of zzz's really do count. (HA.) And it was rainy and I couldn't decide what to wear... Ugh, it was just one of those mornings. And then I got to work, and technology was not on my side. I won't recount all the little issues I ran into, but it was honestly one thing after another. Up until about 5 minutes before our first hour of small groups I was struggling with getting anything to work right. It was all I could do to hold back the tears while I asked James, who was busy fighting his own fires and gearing up for his hour of small groups, to take a look at yet another tech issue. Oy. Thankfully he was super gracious and got my stuff up and running just in time to kick off our small group openers.

Needless to say, I did not have a moment of downtime to review my lesson or do any kind of personal Bible study. And let's just suffice to say lesson learned. However, greater than the lesson of not snoozing through my alarm and considering an earlier bedtime on Saturday eve, is a lesson that Jesus has been trying so hard to get me to see lately. As I was switching gears from Junior High and Senior High this morning, I had a few moments to catch my breath during a couple of worship songs. The Lord so graciously reminded me during those moments that He loves me so much, not for what I do, or really even for who I am, but because of who He is. I love being cradled in His love. I know that sounds cheesy; in fact I nearly deleted it as soon as I typed it. But I can't, because it's so true. And maybe you need to hear that. Maybe you need to let Him envelope you and just hold you while you rest in His love. It seems like lately He's been chasing after me with this idea of love. Love? Really? Yes, love. He's been hitting me with it from so many different angles lately, and while I'm definitely not an expert on the topic, and I definitely struggle with accepting something of which I am so unworthy, I am beginning to see glimpses of what true love--His love--really looks like and how it works in my life.

Lesson number one today: His love for me knows no bounds. And all He really wants is for me to know that love and make it known. Lesson number two: Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is greater, stronger, higher, more beautiful, more powerful, more gracious, more undeserved, than His love. And nothing could ever stop it. (See Romans 8.) During our second hour of small groups I was so overwhelmed, again, with His love and how unchangeable it is. Seriously, I don't even deserve to experience His love, let alone be reminded of it so relentlessly. But He's so good like that.

So today, that started out being "one of those days," and NOT one of my days, ended up being exactly what it needed to be, exactly what He wanted it to be. Here's to the same tomorrow.

I hope you're being blessed, bloggies, and soaking in His love for you.

2 comments:

  1. You need to start implementing Nate's 9:30 rule! :-) We are home by 9:30 every Saturday night and he is preparing for Sunday. We have done this since we got married. It helps so much! Love you Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally do the 9:30 rule, actually. But this weekend was a going away party for a friend in Bolivar and I didn't want to miss it. Still, I shouldn't have snoozed, though! Haha. Tonight's a 9:30 night for sure!

    ReplyDelete