Saturday, February 26, 2011

weekend to-do: out with ordinary!

Last weekend, I sat down on Friday morning, as I normally do, and compiled my weekend to-do's. What made the list? Laundry. Clean my bathroom. Dust. Sweep and mop the tile. Pay bills. Clean out closet. Choose a grad school. Sweep out the garage. Get groceries. Work out.

Mostly ordinary, boring weekend stuff. After reading over my list and feeling a few shades of overwhelmed, I decided I desperately needed to add something positive--something for ME. So I made a few additions. Do something fun. Get creative. Escape. Rest.

I am pleased to report that I did indeed manage to cross each of those additional items off my list. It felt most wonderful and fulfilling. (I also crossed off everything from the usual part of my list...with the exception of "choose a grad school." Just in case you were curious.)

Escape and rest both came without much argument or hesitation. Friday was delightfully sunny and warm, and I very easily gave into the temptation to lounge on my deck with a Jodi Picoult novel in hand. Lovely. My something fun and get creative collided on Saturday afternoon after a much needed inspiration adventure around Michael's. Here's what transpired.

These three skeins got my wheels a-turnin'...


...and this is what I eventually produced!

I'm so excited with my new spring wreath. Partially because I'm completely 150% so over winter and the thought of warm, welcoming sunshine invites me so strongly that I almost want to go put on my swimsuit and run outside right at this very instant....ALMOST. Also, I just love that I went into Michael's with a vision, but not really knowing exactly how to execute it. When I freed myself to think outside the box and get a little creative, I had such great fun. An added bonus: I already had all the yarn I needed to wrap the wreath mold, so I actually saved money too! ;)

So that was last weekend: a highly appreciated oasis that offered just the right amount of nourishment for my soul. Isn't God good like that? Mmm. He totally knew I needed that and could afford it last weekend, especially given that this weekend, week, and next weekend are all a bit overloaded with activity. Nevertheless, I'm taking measures to continue resting in Him throughout the hustle and bustle.

Ahh...speaking of hustle and bustle...it's nearing time for me to meet up with a fabulous former student and then head over to Skateland for a skate party. My muscles are already dreading the taxation... :) Nonetheless, it will be blast, I'm positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment