Wednesday, November 23, 2011

give thanks.

So it’s Thanksgiving week, and naturally, I’ve been feeling a little sentimental.  Whether it’s too much time spent counting my blessings, or dreading the thought of celebrating another birthday, I’m not sure.  Regardless, I’ve been doing some thinking on the whole idea of “giving thanks.” 

We have been given so much and it's really easy to take it all for granted, especially the busier we get.  God's Word mentions over and over again that we are to give thanks.  Throughout the Psalms and scattered about 1 and 2 Chronicles is the phrase "give thanks."  Each instance gives reasons that we are to express our gratitude to the Lord.  My favorite is 1 Chronicles 16:34 that says, "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His steadfast love endures forever!"  

Until recently, I'd always thought of the phrase, "Give thanks," as an act that happens between us and God, like telling Him thank you for all that He has done and all that He has given us.  Recently, though, the sheer grammar of the phrase struck me (crazy, I know), and I began to consider the implications of the command.

“To give” is a transitive verb that requires some sort of object following it to complete the thought, whether it’s a direct or indirect object varies depending on the sentence.  It means “to present voluntarily and without expectation.”  Talk about power-packed.  Then “thanks” in this case is a noun functioning as the object in the verb phrase.  “Thanks” is an expression of gratitude or appreciation. 

What if, instead of looking at giving thanks from an egocentric perspective, we considered it as an opportunity to give someone else a reason to be thankful?  What if we rewired our thinking to put someone else’s needs, concerns, even their gratitude before our own? 

How can I literally “give thanks”? 

Just some food for thought...

And now, some thanksgiving entertainment for you, thanks to Abi’s adorable daughter and Daniel’s good humor.


Happy Thanksgiving, friends!  

2 comments:

  1. You grammar nazi, you. Interesting perspective, though! And, my goodness, what a hilarious girl!

    ReplyDelete